Monday, August 1, 2011

reflexiones

I was so grateful to be able to listen to and talk to the three MAC alumni who were kind enough to come and share their experiences with us. It's great to hear about the different kinds of situations (great tech help like Andrea has; little interest in tech like in the school that Kevin student taught in) we might encounter.

Each of them were (as was the point, no doubt!) inspiring in their use of technology. I loved the idea of Facebook "office hours"; using cell phones to access internet in classrooms (or schools) with few computers. I'm also really curious about Moodle--if it's like C-Tools, I can certain see the benefit of it; I can't imagine my university career (I did my undergrad at UM, too) without it.  I loved Larry's idea, too, about using FB to connect with students and to get them excited about their subject *and* to teach them a bit about internet etiquette. And I will remember Kevin's suggestion to look into funds for things when their is something that I want for my class or for the school--that there might be things out there that aren't openly advertised and to look for them.

I also enjoyed our (brief) discussion about the readings and it has me particularly excited about the point-counterpoint looking into whether schools should conform to students or students to school. I have been fairly optimistic up to this point about the possibilities technology offers to students; this week's readings, however, have reminded me of what I'm convinced are very real downsides that have to be examined.

I asked Lauren about her evolution as a teacher and, goddess though she apparently is, was very reassuring and hopefully suggested that one doesn't really become the teacher they are going to be until (as everyone says) the third year; she says she made lots of mistakes along the way. As inspired as I have been by all these teachers we have met (in this class, and also in Shari's class), sometimes I feel overwhelmed. It's great to remember that now I'm taking it all in, and it's a process, and I will become the teacher I want to be.

Finally, it's been a really interesting, rewarding, challenging (and SHORT!) semester and I am genuinely looking forward to returning in the fall.

Not, however--truth be told--until enjoying a bit of Spanish sun!



Saludes desde EspaƱa y que todos lo pasen bien el agosto!!!! Hasta septiembre!

1 comment:

  1. I also am excited about Facebook office hours and Moodle. Apparently, Moodle has language options, which will be great for us FL teachers. I think the idea of Facebook office hours is nice too. It'd be good to give your students a specific time when you're available to them, so you won't be getting emails/texts/tweets/messages from students at all hours of the day and night

    ReplyDelete